Friday, May 14, 2010

From the Front Lines of Chaos to Change

As so many different, seemingly everyday, events in life motivate, inspire and amuse me, I wanted a place to store and even share my discoveries before they evaporate mistily into the far distant crevices of my memories (I am past the half-way mark after all!)

From a recently-read book, or article, shared moments with my three grandchildren, Hannah, Joshua and Tyler, a memorable meal, a "keeper" of a recipe, to a brisk walk, a good cappuccino at my favourite haunt, shopping tips and shared hints, I am revived and renewed and find pleasure (and many times humour) in sharing life's finds. I love it when people share their keepers with me, so I humbly reciprocate on these and the following pages. Even if you do not find the time (or inclination) to read any of this, the time will not have been entirely wasted, for I will have finally realised my dream of putting "pen to paper", thus preserving these memories for a good personal read or reminisce later on.

I have realised that my life is in chaotic disarray at the moment. It's not that I am busier than ever before, its just that being disorganised creates its own battlefield. Of course I am a pristinely tidy and organised person on the inside frantically trying to find a way out. Of course, everything is filed away in tidy little compartments and all the bills paid up to date, dogs' flea programmes routinely administered, the garden blooming and sprouting homegrown organic herbs and salad greens! Of course, in my mind.

Sadly, the reality is that my home office desk looks like a tip and indeed my husband (with whom I share the study) is frightened to open any of the drawers in case something jumps out and bites his hand! If the truth be told, it's actually HIS study and I have usurped his space. It's a lovely study with a lot of potential, but right now, the door remains firmly closed as I hunker down in front of the computer, guiltily addicted to Spider Solitaire or Tetris. I know that these time wasters are eating into valuable productive time but I am swamped and overwhelmed right now by all the small tasks that make up one's day, hopelessly drowning in a sea of overdue library books, unfinished craft projects, two bulging handbags which needed sorting out two month's back, and the longer these seemingly harmless tasks remain untouched, the more demanding they become, the louder their cries of disapproval and the guiltier I feel. The guiltier I feel, the more deserving I think I am of a good few games of Tetris instead.

Enter a Super Heroine, one named Heloise who wrote a book entitled "Get Organized with Heloise", which I recently borrowed from our local library. Some pages were merely flicked through, but here and there were treasures which I am sure will change my life forever. I seem to have many life-changing moments, but the lifelines thrown to me in random chapters of this book have me inspired and motivated to tackle the worst tasks with vigour and enthusiasm even!

The Kitchen is the first area to which I decided to concentrate my attention. It is, after all, the "heart" of the home (well, my home anyway, because my family love to eat). The kitchen is the place where meals are planned, prepared, cooked, served from and then the leftovers ultimately stored; the place where the beginnings of each meal are to be found neatly stored in either the pantry, refrigerator or freezer, thus, I felt that it deserved my special ministrations, taking precedence over any other room or cupboard (even the study).

As I embark upon this new part of uncluttering my life, I feel the need to share each step of the way so that I am held accountable (even if only to myself) to dive in, persevere and organise, tidy and get on top of the mounds of refrigerated unused leftovers and rotting veg which I keep purchasing, and which jostle for breathing space amongst the packed shelves of half-used jams, preserves, pickles and wet spices, which seemed such a good idea at the time. The freezer also bulging with Tupperware cartons of unidentifiable (unmarked) frozen food, the grocery cupboard with packets and packets of half-used dry goods, which for ages have been attracting pests with an open invitation to picnic undisturbed. Until now! I am about to declare war on waste and wantonness, my freezer will bulge with nourishing "frozen assets" for those lazy days, instead of simply dialling the local pizza parlour's delivery service. My Husband's generous offers of "putting me onto a grocery budget" will now be gracefully accepted because for once I will have planned, listed and budgeted for each carefully thought out purchase instead of getting carried away by the latest shopping whim.

Hold tight, this household is about to change and I smile smugly as I get ready to publish this. Once the button is pressed, I am forever committed and being a rainy, cold Saturday afternoon, I get ready for a nice relaxing afternoon nap. Got to plan somewhere, not so? And, where better than lying on your bed, your mind buzzing with a myriad of good thoughts about food, food storage and food preparation until your eyes start to close and you drift off into a well-deserved sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment